Thursday, July 14, 2011

Panko and Asiago Encrusted Tomatoes

I just learned that the leaves of tomatoes are poisonous. But I’m thinking like how poisonous? Like poisonous to kill someone or to just make them throw up? And is it me or is it a little ironic that this fruit (veggie to some people) is called “the apple of love” in French culture. Creepy.
Here in America, we just like tomatoes in almost every form. We eat over 26 pounds of tomatoes a year in either the raw form, ketchup, or my personal favorite, salsa. But last night as I was flipping though a fine cooking magazine, I saw a recipe that did not look it would cost me anything/ take me 12 hours to make. This summer recipe was really delicious and Diana’s boyfriend Matthew (who hates tomatoes) ate a lot of the little ones. I think the little ones were the most delicious and easy to pop right in your mouth.

Give this summer treat a try at your next pool party or barbeque. You won’t be disappointed.

P.S. I had a lot of fun with these pictures.

What You Need:
  • 1 cup of grated Asiago Cheese
  • ¾ cup of panko
  • 2 tablespoons of panko
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped from parsley
  • Salt and pepper to taste
How  to Make It:
        1.       Turn you oven to broil so it can nice and toasty.
       2.         Slice your tomatoes in ¼ of an inch slices or your littler ones in half
3.       Mix the panko, cheese, herbs, and salt and pepper together with a fork until the cheese and panko is coated with olive oil. If it looks like it is too dry just add a little more.

4.       Sprinkle the mixture on to you tomatoes and pop them into the oven.

5.       Watch your tomatoes because depending on the strength of your broiler the tomatoes can brown quickly and burn. Just let them cook until the panko is golden brown.

6.       Plate with some olive oil and some fresh thyme on top!

1 comment:

  1. these look delicious, i can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete