Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lemon Basil Shitake Risotto


It has been a month since I have posted! i can’t believe it has really been that long. Well let me fill you in. I have moved out of my old apartment where Four Girls and Two Boys originated and currently moved in to my beautiful new apartment with some cheerleader friends. I have thought about changing the name but I don’t think I will but any suggestions are welcome. I was up to my eye balls with finals, passed them all (YAY!) and then moved back down to Maryland with my parents. I have not stopped since I have been here being my sister’s personal prom slave. Then my Dad asked me to work for him for a couple days. So even though I worked today I just needed to blog.
Today as I was eating my packed lunch at work, a small salad with cucumbers, I realized that this would not suffice. I was hungry and thank God no one talked to me because I was a little grouchy. I did not understand why I would only bring that little tiny meal. I mean I’m not a big woman, standing roughly at 4’10”, but that would just not cut it. So I began to dream about what I would make for dinner.
After much internal pondering I decided on a Lemon Basil Risotto with Shitake Mushrooms and Scallops. It was a little ambitious after a long day, never have made risotto before but I’m always up for a challenge. Anyway, this recipe was more challenging than I thought it would be. You have to be very patient and make sure that your burners stay so low they are almost off when cooking the risotto. As for the scallops, the ones I bought just did not cut it for me. They were too fishy and salty, not the best quality so I’m only gonna give the recipe for the risotto until I get a really good scallop experience.
The challenge was worth it though. It was really really yummy. The mushrooms really made it delicious and I am not even really a mushroom fan. I put extra basil in too because I just love fresh basil. It smells soooo good. This meal is definitely a treat on a long day or a day that isn’t the nicest weather. Anyway, enjoy and be patient with this one.

What Do You Need:

About 3 1/4 cups fat-skimmed reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups of water
2  cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
Shitake mushrooms
Touch of olive oil
1 cup of asiago cheese
3/4 cups arborio or other short- or medium-grain white rice
1/3  cup dry white wine

How Do You Do It:
1.       In a deep pan place your chicken broth and water and heat until it is boiling. Then pour in your rice and put the heat down to simmer. Place a lid on it and DO NOT TOUCH IT for 40 minutes.
2.      Chop your basil and mushrooms into strips and place into a small pan with hot olive oil in it. Sautee.
3.      Slice your lemon in half and grate your cheese to get ready for the plating.
4.      When the rice is done combine all the elements and let it rest for a minute with the top on.
5.      Serve and eat away!

3 comments:

  1. your posts are always a welcomed treat...making me feel close to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love reading your posts jessie:) post some recipies a 19 year old bum would have the ingredients to make it in his pantry! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to attempt risotto...but I LOVE to eat it. I think it's high time I make it. What a delish sounding recipe! Thanks so much for becoming a Rosebud btw...xoxo

    ReplyDelete