Saturday, April 9, 2011

Down South Dinner


"Food is about nurturing, the nurturing of ingredients together"

Today, I went to the city to visit the roommates at work. I spoiled myself with bagels and bath products and thought I was completely satisfied. But then walking home this smell came and wafted around my little nostrils. It was greasy and delicious smelling. Just smelling this made my arteries stiffen and my blood pressure went up. This is because I live about a block behind a rather classy restaurant. Maybe you know it? Popeye’s (LOL)
                Rather than getting a heart attack inducing piece of poultry I decided to make my own kind of southern dinner. I made this delicious fried chicken with a plethora of ingredients in the breading such as spices and different type of dry ingredients.  I included buttery whipped potatoes and wilted garlic spinach. All and all, Matthew and I vacuumed (eat so fast it is like a vacuum sucked it in) up dinner.  I took me about twenty minutes to make everything and I also had everything in my kitchen. The spinach and whipped potatoes where just a basic recipe but I will tell you how I made this chicken. It was soooooo delicious. Make this next time you get a fast food craving. 




What You Need:
  • 2/3 of a cup of flour
  • 2/3 of a cup of dry pancake mix
  • 2/3 of a cup of breadcrumbs
  • 3 tablespoon of oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes,
  • 1/3 of a cup of Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • Vegetable Oil

How You Make It:
  1. Place a frying pan filled with about a 1/4 of oil in it on the stove and let it get nice and hot.
  2. Beat the egg and the milk together in a small bowl.
  3. Combine all your dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
  4. Take your chicken and place it in the egg mixture first and then the dry mix.
  5. Press the dry mixture on both sides of the chicken to get a nice even coating of the breading.
  6. Place the chicken in the frying pan in the hot oil.
  7. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
  8. Place the cooked chicken on paper towels to blot off the extra grease.
  9. Serve hot with whipped buttery potatoes and garlic spinach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment