Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

 I don't consider myself a downer on Valentines Day, just simple. I told Matthew please get me flowers, here is where you get them, please no carnations. Tomorrow I'm going to make him dinner, which is really just an excuse to try out making some of my favorite dishes.
      Currently I am sitting in my school's (gross) cafeteria listening to a guy at the next table tell his friend about his day. He gave his girlfriend a card and because of a previous fight she ripped it up and threw it at him. Dramatic? I think yes. Now he is stressing out whether or not he should give her the roses because they have thorns and would be more painful then the torn up paper.  
 All and all, i feel that in this article this couple gets it right.
  
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for dick-butkus-steroids.jpgHere it is...that time of the year to fill the emotional void of your marriage and/or relationship with flowers, dinner, and chocolate.
The annual rush of men through floral shops and card stores is enough to create a chilled breeze throughout the Chicago metro area.
Men try valiantly to impress their girlfriends or wives.  "Maybe she'll think this card is funny...maybe she'll think this card is cute...maybe this one will be sentimental just enough...I think she likes Meltaways...or is it turtles...I hope this place isn't packed...I hope this place doesn't cost $50 a plate...I wonder if she thinks I'm overdoing it...I wonder if she thinks I'm underdoing it..."Men spend the day trying to fill the void, but wind up only emptying the pockets.

Butkus says to 'save the steak for a night out with the boys...spend some g'd time with your wife for once, you pantywaste!'

Chicago Tough believes that the only way to a successful relationship doesn't involve lavish gifts or nights out on the town.  It involves time.  Moments together with no distractions.  Small conversation and a board game.  A pizza and a movie.  A silly comedy or a spontaneous back rub.Later tonight, I promise to bring my wife three simple wishes:  a cherry milkshake, a back rub, and a foot rub.  Hell, my rear end might even find its way into the kitchen to make something for dinner.
It's all she wants...something simple that I can give to her that makes her happy...and I get the joy of watching her feel comfortable, calm, and satisfied.
It's also something that has made our marriage work-the constant giving of one's time to the other individual.  That's not something new.  It's a 'something' that's been true for millions of years.
And it's also something that won't be found inside your $50 steak at Carmichael's.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-tough/2011/02/how-chicago-tough-feels-about-valentines-day.html#ixzz1DxOYd7hC

1 comment:

  1. Jessica!!! I MISS YOU but your too good to talk to me these days :p lets start fourgirlstwoboys.com for your blog! Ill help out!

    ReplyDelete